Hilary Duff Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayor Samuel Moreno Names Hilary Ambassador/Access Hollywood Article

2 posters

Go down

Mayor Samuel Moreno Names Hilary Ambassador/Access Hollywood Article Empty Mayor Samuel Moreno Names Hilary Ambassador/Access Hollywood Article

Post by Colleen Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:27 am

Mayor Samuel Moreno Names Hilary Ambassador/Access Hollywood Article A476h4

Hilary Duff was named "Ambassador for the Youth" in Bogota by Mayor Samuel Moreno at the Palacio Lievano (Bogota City Hall). Duff is in the Colombian capitol on an ambitious four-day mission to bring meals to the city's underprivileged children on behalf of "Blessings in a Backpack," a U.S.-based program, which feeds underprivileged children in grades K-10. Duff's agenda includes distributing nutritious meals to children in orphanages and hospitals and meeting with ex-gang members. (PRNewsFoto/Mayor Samuel Moreno of Bogota, Colombia)

BOGOTA COLOMBIA

U.S. - based "Blessings in a Backpack" Expands Giving to Latin America

BOGOTA, Colombia, Aug. 15 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Hilary Duff arrived in Bogota, Colombia today at the invitation of Mayor Samuel Moreno and embarked on an ambitious four-day mission to bring meals to the city's underprivileged children on behalf of "Blessings in a Backpack" http://www.blessingsinabackpack.com. During her four days in Bogota, Ms. Duff will hand out more than 3,000 backpacks filled with nutritious food for the children of Bogota.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20090815/NY62023 )

"We are honored to have Hilary Duff http://www.hilaryduff.com launch Blessings in a Backpack in Bogota," said Mayor Moreno. "Besides helping thousands of needy children, Blessings in a Backpack is aligned with our initiative, 'Positive Bogota: To Live Better,' which seeks to guarantee the enjoyment of a modern, prosperous, equal, cooperative, just and participative city."

Blessings in a Backpack, founded by Stan Curtis in Louisville, Kentucky in 2005, serves more than 90 schools across the U.S. and provides weekend nourishment to qualified children in kindergarten through grade ten so they can learn at the same rate as their classmates. "Better test scores, improved reading skills, positive behavior, improved health and increased attendance have all been attributed to the success of this program," said Mr. Curtis.

Ms. Duff, who finished a week of filming "Gossip Girl" in New York City, has a packed agenda during her visit to Bogota, which includes visits to hospitals and orphanages, meetings with ex-gang members and Colombian officials.

"I am thrilled to be in Bogota to launch Blessings in a Backpack," said Ms. Duff. "I want to express my gratitude to Mayor Moreno for offering me the opportunity to share this program, which is close to my heart, with the children of Bogota."

Access Hollywood Article

"We are encouraged by Mayor Moreno's welcome to Blessings in a Backpack," said Mr. Curtis. "We see this visit to Bogota as an opportunity to share our program with the children of the world and we're excited that the Mayor recognizes and supports social programs aimed at improving the lives of its most vulnerable citizens."

With Blessings in a Backpack, Colombia's goal is to create a sustainable healthy food program for children in very low income areas of Bogota. Working with the Secretary Generals office, and the Secretary of Education, Blessings in a Backpack will continue to provide nutritious food to children each weekend to insure that no children go hungry.

Mayor Moreno's long-term plan for Bogota includes a city, where government action is directed toward achieving a greater quality of life for all citizens -- an inclusive, just and equal city where human rights are recognized, respected and restored; where diversity is an opportunity and peace and reconciliation are possible.

BOGOTA, Columbia --

Singer-actress Hilary Duff brought her Blessings in a Backpack program to Colombia Friday to distribute 3,000 knapsacks of food to poor children in a school district south of the capital city.

Duff will spend three days visiting children and participating in a vaccination campaign. She was greeted by Bogota Mayor Samuel Moreno, whom Duff said gave her “an amazing invitation” to bring the program to Colombia.

“We’ve been working for four years feeding children over the weekends,” she said. “They invited us to come here, and we got our first school in Bogota.”

Duff and USA Harvest founder Stan Curtis started Blessings in a Backpack for children who get their best meals at school, giving them backpacks of food every Friday to take home and share with their families when they’re away from their main source of nutrition. The program serves 106 schools and 26,000 children in the U.S. and Canada.

Colombia is the third country to take on the program, said Duff, 21, who earned fame as the teenage character Lizzie McGuire in a Disney series of the same title. She has appeared more recently in “War, Inc.” and “Material Girls” and recorded several hit songs and music videos.

Duff said she only has time to visit Colombia because of work. She is filming six episodes of the television series “Gossip Girl,” followed by a romantic comedy and a remake of “Bonnie and Clyde.”

When asked if she had a favorite Colombian singer, she said Shakira, who also does charity work with children in her home country.

“I think she’s an amazing writer,” Duff said. “She really has a strong idea of what she wants and she can play a lot of instruments and that really impresses me.”

Access Hollywood

Colleen

Back to top Go down

Mayor Samuel Moreno Names Hilary Ambassador/Access Hollywood Article Empty Re: Mayor Samuel Moreno Names Hilary Ambassador/Access Hollywood Article

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:57 am

Cool.
Great article.
I think this is one of the best charities in the world,we need something like it in Aus.
Thanks for posting.

Back to top Go down

Mayor Samuel Moreno Names Hilary Ambassador/Access Hollywood Article Empty Re: Mayor Samuel Moreno Names Hilary Ambassador/Access Hollywood Article

Post by Colleen Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:36 am

I kinda mentioned it to Chris, since Blessings in a Backpack has jsut started going international.

I explained to him how their are kids who go to school without food, or dont get much food at home. You wouldn't think it be happening in a country like ours where everything thinks its such a good country and that we have everything. But it does happen, I think its becomming a bigger issue now then ever before.

Colleen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:07 am

Who is Chris?
Yeah,especially in some remote areas of our country and areas where people aren't able to afford some of the needs other kids get.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beckles Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:35 am

Yeah, there are children/families who need help everywhere.
Its great that shes not the kind of person go to 'Oh, im famous, who cares about the others"

Beckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Colleen Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:46 am

Yeh, she's got that fire in her to help others and not just let others suffer.

Chris (Amuse) is someone who works with Hilary and he runs her website.

Colleen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:22 pm

Oh well,thats great you mentioned to him about that.
Imagine if she came out here for it,would be amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beckles Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:46 pm

If she came out here it would be awesome if locals could volunteer to help

Beckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Yes.People like us to volunteer!
lol
Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beckles Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:19 pm

Exactly my thought! ha

Beckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down